Picnic ideas for your next picnic!
Picnics can be as varied as the people who attend. Who says a picnic has to just be a picnic blanket and an empty picnic basket? Picnic ideas abound with your lifestyle and the interests of your guests! Here are some picnic ideas that are theme oriented just in case you might be stumped:
Picnic Idea: 'Celebrate the Ants Picnic"
From food to decorations this picnic idea is sure to be a hit with those little visitors of yours. Why fight the ants? Use them as an inspiration! Try these ideas for your picnic:
- Picture this, celery, stuffed with peanut butter; sprinkle some raisins on toplooks like ants to me!
- While we are using raisins (whoops, I mean edible ants!) throw them in some fruit salad, or my favorite, my Grandmother's carrot salad picnic recipe:
- 2 cups raisins
- 3 large carrots, grated
- 2 apples, cored and cut up (not peeled)
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) crushed pineapple, drained, juice reserved
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing, or to taste
- Did you know that you can get gourmet chocolate covered insects? Just search for your favorite chocolate covered insect on the internet and your picnic will definitely be remembered!
- Believe it or not, Hobby and Fabric shops are into the whole ant picnic idea theme also! A great picnic idea is to visit your local fabric and craft shop, get some fabric you like and get iron-on or stick-on plastic. With this, you can make a tablecloth that is re-usable!
- For the main course, you can lay out your sandwiches to look like Ants. Supplies for this picnic idea:
- Sandwiches of your choice made on small round rolls
- Toothpicks with curly plastic ends
- Pickle spears (cut a large pickle in long strips)
- Arrange the sandwiches on a tray, three lengthwise to a group. Use six pickles for the legs, and stick two of the toothpicks in the first sandwich of the group for the antennae.
- For a cool sweet treat, try this 'Ant Picnic' idea out for desert. You will need:
- ½ Gallon Chocolate (or Strawberry for the red ants) Ice Cream
- Twizler Candies (or licorice)
- On a plate go three scoops of ice cream, all in a row. 6 pieces of Twizler make the legs between body sections; two smaller pieces of Twizler make the antennae, and don't forget two raisins for the eyes!
Ok, so now as I have you reaching for the bug spray, maybe I've given you and idea or two about your own themed picnic ideas! My best advice is to take a theme and run with it. Don't worry about bordering on the edge of the 'cheese factor' (you know? 'cheesy'). By going over the top with your themed picnic idea, your picnic basket (and your event) will be memorable!